Before you choose becoming a paralegal as your next career, you might want to consider these questions:
1. Is the cost of your tuition prohibitive to your desired lifestyle?
2. What is the expected salary range for this career?
3. If you have taken out student loans, can you afford to repay them on your expected salary?
Where to Specialize
1. Corporate Law
3. Intellectual Property*
4. Real Estate*
5. Family Law*
7. Estate Planning and Probate*
*These areas would be part of a customized certificate program at LUC
Work Life (Large firm)
1. If you work at a large firm, can you manage the long hours and grueling workload?
2. How do you feel about working with several supervising bosses (lawyers)?
3. Do you want to work in a conservative environment where business dress is the standard?
4. Can you manage the day to day stress of maintaining enough billable hours?
Work Life (Small firm)
1. If you work at a small firm, can you stay above the office politics?
2. Can you adjust to occasional late nights of work when it is needed by your boss?
3. Can you adjust to the expansive range of work needed, from making copies to drafting client depositions?
For an overview of the field, visit: Paralegals Career Guide